Sunday, June 1, 2008

Welcome, Leo Gilbert!

My sister Katie gave birth last night to her first child. Leo Gilbert Masson clocked in at 11:22pm on May 31st weighing 8lbs, 3oz. And as an uncle I know I have to say the following, but nonetheless it is heartfelt: Leo is key-uuuuuuute. Wrinkled hands, big eyes and constantly smacking lips as if he is getting used to this mouth thing.

I wish I could say it was a day of pure celebration, but I would be lying. Those moments holding him in my arms today were bittersweet. It is hard, very hard, not to long. Hard not to wonder when it will be my child that I get to hold in my arms. When it will be Trish lying exhausted, disheveled and radiant in the bed.

And yet.... In the midst of the longing there was a sense of peace. Maybe it is just too hard to focus on negatives looking into the eyes of someone not even a full day old. Or maybe..., maybe Leo showed me my future. If so I am going to have to thank him one day.

If I haven't mentioned already he is amazingly cute. And I will prove it to you after Dad sends the promised pictures.

1 comment:

TD said...

I mentioned this in a comment on your last post, but: CONGRATS AGAIN!

Not just to the new parents and baby, but to you two as aunt & uncle.