Monday, June 16, 2008

Happy Birthday, Tom!

Older brother Tom's birthday today. Tom who used to hang me from a hook on the patio, gave me my only punch to the eye, and once told me an attractive woman was "way out of [my] league."

Tom who found me a job when I needed one, is always quick to lend a hand moving, and often took me to Mariner games (before he got married and had a built in game partner).

Tom who encouraged me to go to my first play auditions in high school, taught me much of what I know about sports and poker, and has attended just about every play or movie I have ever done.

My favorite Tom story is from a few years back when he, my dad, my other brother Mike and I were in Reno for a weekend. It was late and I sat down at a poker table (pre-Texas Hold 'Em craze so the game was 7 card stud) filled with guys who were either really drunk or literally falling asleep at the table. That was enough of an advantage for me to start winning a fair number of hands. About an hour into it, Tom sits down at the table, too. A couple hands in and I am showing a possible straight but have nothing and start bluffing. Because I had been winning earlier all the other guys folded until it is just Tom and me. He gives me a long hard look and then states, "Screw it! I can't let my little brother bluff me." He calls and beats me with two pair. Could not win another hand that night.

Happy Birthday, Brother. Thanks for everything.

1 comment:

jertoyota said...

Dan, a belated thanks for the birthday shout-out. I'll accept the credit/blame for most of what you attributed, but a punch to the face? I don't think I've ever punched anyone in the face. Are you sure this isn't a falsely recovered repressed memory? Sorry but I just don't buy that one. You'll have to jog my memory.