Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Diasgreement

Having a little online argument with Todd over on his blog. Thought I would import it over here and solicit some support because he is just so totally wrong. He said...
"I think a screening of Tombstone is in order. Only one of the best American films ever made. But then I really don't have an opinion or anything."

To which I tactfully replied...
"What the #$@*% are you talking about? Tombstone is a fun little movie but one of the best American movies ever made? How high are you? I think we need to see your list of best American movies to determine if committal is necessary."

He then goes on to list a variety of reasons why it is such a great movie. But my point is...
"The movie is good. But there is no way you can call it one of the best American movies EVER. Better than which classic? Kane, Casablanca, Waterfront, His Girl Friday, The Apartment, Godfather, Apocalypse, Star Wars, Badlands, MASH, Graduate, Midnight Cowboy, Raiders... how many is that? 13? Off the top of my head! It is not even Kurt Russell's best - he is better in both Big Trouble in Little China and The Thing."

And that is why I am so very right and he is so very wrong. I say Tombstone is an under appreciated film. A good solid movie. No way, no how can you call it one of the best American films ever made. So please feel free to chime in here. Other American movies better than Tombstone.... go.

UPDATE: Poor, poor Todd. After taking up my challenge with smack talk that "It's on like Donkey Kong!" (yeah, he is a geek) he concedes the point in the same comment....
"Would you have been happier if I'd qualified it as "one of the best American WESTERNS"? 'Cause I'd still put it up alongside The Professionals, The Searchers, The Magnificent Seven and anything John Ford, Howard Hawks, Sergio Leone or Clint Eastwood have done."

Big difference between best American movie and best American western, so I will take the victory and move on completely satisfied. He is probably giving Tombstone too much credit, but my knowledge of westerns in general and that period on history is slim (part of his love for the film is its historical accuracy), so I will not argue it.

5 comments:

Uncle Rico said...

I would agree with Todd. "Tombstone" is one of the greatest American movies ever made. I would also add to that list anything with Pauly Shore in it. (A true American genius).

- reeko

TD said...

Dan knows my love of casual hyperbole, so he knows when I say something is the "greatest" or "best ever" it is always with at least a caveat or even a touch of irony.

Tombstone *is* among the best American westerns made, and should be required viewing in 19th Century American History classes based on its production design alone, and the western is one of a small handful of genres we can truly claim as our own.

I think we should make a western, Dan. And we should totally cast Pauly Shore in the lead. That would be AWESOME.

Dan Heinrich said...

Now, Todd. There is no reason to walk back your comments. My readers - all 5 of them - will not think any less of you for standing by your opinions. Even they are totally wrong.

TD said...

You know what they say: "Opinions are like assholes - everybody has one, and mine smells better."

Trish Loyd said...

I know it's late to chime in, but I personally thought that Wyatt Earp was slightly better, showing a darker and possibly more accurate portrayal of an american hero who is often times seen as more "holy" than he probably was.
But, a good Western, as good as The Searchers? Yeah, I'll give ya that.