Monday, September 8, 2008

God Wrestling

A few months back, Bill gave a sermon focusing on the story of Jacob wrestling with God. The extreme nutshell summation is that God not only encourages us to grapple with God in our pain and fear, but blesses the effort. This idea has been a huge help since then, especially since the bad news last week. There is no promise of an answer to all the questions you might have, and I certainly have not found any recently. What I do find in the act of engaging, challenging, wrestling with God is a strong sense of being loved. And it is amazing to me how much that helps.

By the by, a world champion God wrestler is my friend Amy, who struggles with reconciling her fundamental upbringing to a secular world and her own needs and desires. While I disagree pretty strongly with her self characterization, I greatly admire the courage she shows in the continual striving. I have found great inspiration in that. Thanks, Amy.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Hey you,

First of all, thanks for the shout out! I appreciate the curve balls you throw my way to make me think more deeply about things or see them from a different perspective. That being said, you've commented more than once that you don't agree with me characterizing myself as Gomer. I've heard you, but I don't think I really understand your reasoning, so let's chat. I value your opinion, and I want to hear more of your thoughts on this subject. Maybe next time I hang with you and Trish we can root through it!